TVMDL’s analytical chemistry section includes Drug Testing and Toxicology tests. Analytical testing capabilities for these disciplines have evolved significantly. TVMDL utilizes chromatography and mass spectrometry to provide an array of toxicology and drug tests. Our instrumentation includes gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC/MS), tandem liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS), high-resolution accurate mass spectrometry (HRAMS), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), inductively coupled plasma – mass spectrometry (ICP-MS), and atomic absorption (AA).
With newer technology, such as HRAMS, diagnosticians see increased sensitivity, increased sample throughput, more accurate detection and identification, and the ability to screen for hundreds to thousands of drugs, chemicals, and toxins in a single analysis. Advanced technology paired with professionals that have more than 100 years of combined experience in toxicology and drug testing allows for expert service from TVMDL.
Analytical Chemistry Section Highlights
- Improvements in analytical capabilities have allowed TVMDL to refine its testing procedures and offer clients more broad-based screening.
- TVMDL staff have years of experience working with regulatory testing
- Accredited by multiple quality assurance programs
- Client service is our top priority
Overview of Drug Testing services
TVMDL is capable of screening for drugs in a variety of classes, including:
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- anabolic steroids
- illicit drugs
Overview of Toxicology Services
- microscopic identification of toxic plants, toxic baits, toxic algae
- pesticides, herbicides, petroleum hydrocarbons, ionophores
- nutritional testing (trace minerals and vitamins)
- heavy metals (lead, arsenic)
- cantharidin (blister beetles)
- anticoagulant rodenticides
- mycotoxins in feed (aflatoxin and fumonisin)
- nitrates and prussic acid in forage and hay
- urolith analysis (calculi ID)
- therapeutic drug monitoring (potassium bromide)
TVMDL proudly serves as the official drug testing lab for approximately 100 livestock shows across the country, including all major shows in Texas. The laboratory has the ability to test many species including cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, horses, rabbits, chickens and turkeys. We take pride in our ability to work with each show on a personal level. The laboratory offers testing and reporting to assist with each show’s testing policy. While we don’t publicize the drugs we screen for they include a comprehensive list of drugs that have the potential to enhance performance.