TVMDL accepts walk-in samples at all four locations.
- Bring the specimen to the receiving door or dock. TVMDL personnel will assist with large samples and/or carcasses.
- Fill out a submission form for the laboratory.
- Present payment information/account information or fill out a prepayment form.
- The sample will receive an accession number for tracking.
- A receipt of payment will be presented.
Cases dropped off are processed as usual and do not receive rush treatment unless otherwise noted on the submission form.
Potential Zoonotic Specimens
All potentially zoonotic specimens should be double bagged. Place the submittal form in bag independent of the specimen.
The sample receiving room is open 24/7/365 at both the College Station and Canyon laboratories. Please note office staff are only available to answer questions during business hours. Samples dropped off outside of business hours will be accessioned the following business day. For clients dropping off large animals that require assistance from TVMDL personnel, please view the Large Animal section for additional information.
To leave most samples at TVMDL after business hours:
- Complete submission form (forms located on writing desk inside the after hours receiving area).
- Ensure all specimens are labeled with animal IDs and client account number(s).
- Place the specimen and submittal form in separate plastic bags. Place the sealed submission form bag inside the specimen bag. If the form will not fit, staple or paper clip the two together.
- Place the specimen in refrigerated, frozen, or ambient storage based on the specimen’s requirements.
- Ensure the door to the storage unit closes completely.
Most large animals will require assistance from TVMDL personnel. Please note there is a $100 charge for carcasses received after hours that require laboratory personnel assistance. TVMDL personnel is only available to assist after hours until 10 p.m.
Some small animal carcasses, such as dogs, cats, and most animals weighing under 50 lbs. may be able to fit in the refrigerator located in the sample drop off room. Larger carcasses will likely require assistance. If possible, clients are encouraged to call and request assistance 20 to 30 minutes prior to arriving at the College Station laboratory. To request assistance, call 979.845.3414 and follow the prompts to be connected to the after hours employee. Necropsy services are performed Monday-Friday during regular business hours.
Some small animal carcasses, such as dogs, cats, and most animals weighing under 50 lbs. may be able to fit in the the refrigerator located in the sample drop off room. Larger carcasses will likely require assistance. If possible, clients are encouraged to call and request assistance 20 to 30 minutes prior to arriving at the Canyon laboratory. To request assistance in Canyon, call 806.316.9691 to be connected with the after hours employee. Necropsy services are performed Monday-Friday during regular business hours.
In Canyon, samples can be left in refrigerated storage in the vestibule at the front entrance of the building.
In College Station, samples can be left in the sample dropoff vestibule at the north side of the building. Refrigerated, frozen, and ambient storage options area available based on specimen requirements.
There is no after hours charge for samples submitted in the dropoff area.