The Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) has compiled the following resources to assist clients submitting samples for chronic wasting disease (CWD) IHC testing. Click on the links below to more about TVMDL’s CWD testing and resources.
- Access the Texas Wildlife Information Management Services (TWIMS) website and generate an accession form for deer to be tested for CWD.
- Ensure inclusion of official TWIMS ID numbers for all deer to be tested.
- Record the test requested. To meet the requirement of the recent emergency order, request “IHC for CWD”.
- Add a TVMDL account number.
- Record the signature and printed name of the submitter.
- Antemortem testing requires biopsy of the retropharyngeal lymph node, tonsils, or rectal wall placed in a cassette between two sponges. Place cassette in 10% neutral buffered formalin (NBF).
- Each cassette should be labeled with the official TWIMS ID number.
- Label each cassette in two places in the event of a smear or smudge.
- Place fixed samples in a sealed, leak-proof, wide mouth plastic container. Samples submitted in glass containers are not acceptable and will incur an additional processing charge.
- Cassettes and sponges for submitting rectal biopsies, formalin, and other supplies can be ordered on TVMDL’s supply order form.
Package and Ship
- Pack CWD tissues for shipment using this guide.
- Label the package for shipment to TVMDL’s College Station laboratory. Shipments to other locations will delay testing.
- Write “CWD” on the outside of the box.
- TVMDL recommends shipping packages using an overnight shipping method; USPS is not recommended. TVMDL has partnered with the Southeast Vocational Alliance (SVA) to provide discounted shipping rates to clients. Learn more about this free service and how to sign up by viewing the Deliver a Sample page.