To bring about the control and eradication of Pullorum Disease and Fowl Typhoid from poultry flocks in Texas and to maintain Texas as a U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean State.
The 65th Legislature passed an act which requires that all domestic poultry used in the production of offspring for the sale or trade be Pullorum-Typhoid negative. The act also requires that all poultry going to public exhibition or sale must be Pullorum-Typhoid tested and found to be free of infection, or originate from a certified Pullorum-Typhoid Clean Flock. The Act was amended by the 72nd Legislature transferring responsibility to the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory from the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station.
- All birds must be at least 16 weeks of age or nearing sexual maturity to be tested.
- All domestic poultry are testable except water fowl and pigeons.
- Turkeys and peafowl require blood samples to be collected, and then submitted for testing in a TVMDL Laboratory
- View the Pullorum-Typhoid region map
- Download a list (PDF) of Texas Pullorum-Typhoid regions.
- Download a map (PDF) of Texas Pullorum-Typhoid regions.
Poultry Programs Administrator
Mr. Joseph (J.C.) Essler
Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
P.O. Drawer 3040
College Station, Texas 77841
Region 1 Poultry Epidemiologist
Region 2 Poultry Epidemiologist
Region 3 Poultry Epidemiologist
Region 4 Poultry Epidemiologist